Feb 9, 2021
Plass Law has over a span of 19 years gained vast expertise and experience in Dispute Resolution particularly given its litigation practice at the Supreme Court of Kenya, Court of Appeal of Kenya, High Court of Kenya, Environment and Land Court, Employment and Labour Relations Court, Magistrate's court and a majority of the Tribunals set up to address different sectors such as the Rent Restriction Tribunal, the Business Premises Rent Tribunal, the Co-operative Tribunal, the Political Parties Disputes Tribunal, Transport Licensing Appeals Board and Industrial Property Tribunal to mention but a few. The Litigation team consists of 6 advocates who safeguard the interests of the firm's local and international clientele in matters concerning; Commercial disputes, Land disputes, Industrial disputes and disputes arising out of any public policies or statutes either passed by the clients or affecting them. In addition to the above and in response to the need to resolve disputes outside the courtroom, the firm also provides alternative dispute resolution services to its clientele ranging from Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration services.
- Successfully co-represented over 3,000 insurance policy holders, third parties and judgment creditors against a leading insurance company in Kenya where we discharged an order that insulated the insurance company from paying insurance claims worth over KES. 300 Million.
- Successfully acted for the County Assembly of Nyeri in a landmark constitutional petition on the constitutionality of the office of the Deputy Speaker. Prior to this petition, three different High court Judges sitting in Meru, Machakos and Murang'a had declared the deputy speaker's office unconstitutional, however, utilizing a novel constitutional interpretation we were able to show the constitutionality of the said office of the Deputy Speaker of not only Nyeri County but all the 47 counties in Kenya.
- Successfully acted for a County Government in Kenya in a Constitutional Petition on a question of public participation and the Public Finance Management Act. The subject matter in this case was the county budget worth over KES. 6 Billion.
- Acted for a leading private university in Kenya in a case concerning redundancy of about 300 of its employees. The outcome was a partial win for our clientele as damages for unlawful termination were reduced by half of what is provided under the Employment Act.
- Successfully litigated 9 Judicial review cases against a County Government stemming from a public interest policy instituted by the County Government against owners of local entertainment venues.
- Successfully represented a Matatu Sacco against the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) at the Transport Licensing Appeals Board stemming from a decision to deregister the Sacco.
2. Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Successfully negotiated an out-of-court settlement for a private university which had been sued by a former member of its senior management for his terminal dues worth over KES. 27 Million.